Crispy Hash Browns
A solid winter warmer, follow this guide and recipe to make the perfect hash browns
It’s the time of year where you want warm, filling and satisfying fare. After hours of debate we realised that there is nothing better on a cold night than Hash Browns! So in honour of those warm evenings before the fire we below the perfect accompaniment.
- 3 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 pound of quality baking potatoes
- Salt and pepper
- Grate the potatos using a food processor or mandolin set.
- Begin to heat the olive oil to a medium high heat.
- While the oil is heating squeeze the moisture from the grated potato using your potato ricer
There are a few techniques to do this and the best it using a potato ricer, (like the ones we stock below). If your ricer has more than one blade then you can put 2 or 3 into the ricer to block the holes through which the potato would normally go. Turn the ricer upside down and squeeze, the potato moisture will drip out of the top of the ricer. If your potato ricer only has on set of blades then you can put a piece of kitchen towel into on-top of the blade. The moisture will then be absorbed by the towel as you squeeze. The key to perfect crispy hash browns is removing the potato juice!
- When the oil is hot enough (just before it begins to smoke) sprinkle the grated potato into the pan.
- Make sure the potato is not more than half an inch thick in any one place.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on top surface and cook until the bottom is golden brown.
- Flip with a spatula to cook the top.
- Divide or cut the cooked hash brown into 4, or smaller portions for kids.